Phat n' Jazzy



So i went to this b- boy club last night called the social. i had originally asked my friend about ways to promote my art. he recommended that i check out this spot downtown called "The Social". i was informed that it was mainly a spot for b boys to chill and sometimes hold tournaments. but the best part about this club was that in the back, there was a spot for artists to set up booths and promote/sell their works. "DOPE". told my friend, i had to be there and jumped at the opportunity. 

          i ventured downtown around 11:00 last night and stood at the door of "The Social" next to Tabu nightclub; waiting in anticipation for the couple in front of me to receive the "go ahead" from the husky bouncer once he checked their IDs. the guy opened the door for his lady friend accompanying him...light and sound blasted out simultaneously as if spring-loaded and jerry rigged in junction to the door hinges. i reached in my back pocket and pulled out my wallet. the towering bouncer looked into my eyes, examining my face after periodically glancing at me, then my ID, then me again and murmured, "nah man... this don look nothin like you." i felt that heart-dropping feeling in my chest; "shit" i said to myself, "i knew this crap was gonna catch up with me". my ID was from a couple years ago when i had my long dreads. i always ask myself how long is it going to take before someone is like "nah man... this don look nothin like you".  i cracked my lips and prepared to "explain myself" into the club. the bouncer smiled; "nah, you cool.", put a thick black X on the back of both my hands and gave me my "go ahead" into the club. a joke? i exhaled... couldn’t help but thinking, "he must be a beast at card games." he had a mean poker face.

         when i got in i was immediately stricken by the immense vibe of the place. i felt like i walked into a 70's hip-hop movie. two large b boy circles with ill dancers in both. each person jumping in and out, showing skills. dancers giving props. Chaotic shouts of bystanders giving revelry’s of approval when a dancer pulls an ill move out of his hat. the entire room was alive, static and demanding attention. my first steps through the door was overpowering at first. it honestly took me a sec to capture all that was taking place...truly a sight to behold... a sight that i have never seen before. a sight that i have never thought i would have ever seen...

 

a sight i had to capture.

 

still a WIP, but i had to throw this in the mix and tell its story.... 

 

 

if you live in the Orlando area or if youer stopping by you gotta drop by the social. the b boy event- Phat n' Jazzy; as i understand it, takes place every tuesday night @:

 

225N Magnolia ave

near the courthouse, right next to club Tabu.

 

if you decide to come you wont be disappointed. 



-OPMC  

No comments:

Post a Comment